connectEDspace - support for young people

Young people can face all sorts of pressures – including problems at school, with friends or at home.
connectEDspace is a website by Relationships Australia Victoria (RAV), dedicated to young people to help provide all the information they need to deal with the stuff they go through each day.

Aboriginal Family and Relationship Support

RAV provides support to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families and individuals to help strengthen family relationships.

Counselling provides an opportunity to talk with a professionally trained person to discuss couple issues, conflicts with friends, relationship breakdown, parenting, domestic violence, anxiety, depression, grief, sexual problems, childhood sexual abuse, stress and work related tensions and disputes.


Making A Submission To The Disability Royal Commission [DOCX 45KB]

Making A Submission To The Disability Royal Commission Easy Read [DOCX 45KB]

Making a submission to the Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability

The Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability will run for three years until 2022.

The Royal Commission’s guiding document, the Terms of Reference, state that the Commission is to examine how to:

  • prevent, and better protect, people with disability from experiencing violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation
  • achieve best practice in reporting and investigating of, and responding to violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation
  • promote a more inclusive society that supports the independence of people with disability and their right to live free from violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation. 

Key terms

The Terms of Reference defines some key terms so that everyone has the same understanding when they interact with the Commission.

  • Violence and abuse: Violence and abuse include assault, sexual assault, constraints, restrictive practices (physical and chemical), forced treatments, forced interventions, humiliation and harassment, financial and economic abuse and significant violations of privacy and dignity on a systemic or individual basis.
  • Neglect: Neglect includes physical and emotional neglect, passive neglect and wilful deprivation. Neglect can be a single significant incident or a systemic issue that involves depriving a person with disability of the basic necessities of life such as food, drink, shelter, access, mobility, clothing, education, medical care and treatment.
  • Exploitation: Exploitation is the improper use of another person or the improper use of or withholding of another person’s assets, labour, employment or resources including taking physical, sexual, financial or economic advantage.


The Commission is now accepting submissions. A submission is the primary way for people and organisations to provide information to the Commission about instances of violence, neglect, abuse or exploitation of people with disability.

Anyone can make a submission ― by telephone, in writing or by asking to appear before the Commission.

Support to make a submission

If someone needs help to make a submission, they can ask another person to be their advocate. The role of an advocate includes supporting the person, helping them to work our any problems or issues with giving their information (such as legal issues, or communication difficulties) and participating in the Commission. The advocate does not make decisions for the person or tell them what to do.

You can also access a government-funded advocacy support and/or legal aid service through the Commission’s website.

Relationships Australia Victoria (RAV) can provide emotional support while you are deciding whether or not to make a submission, if you are appearing before the Commission and more generally to assist you.

How to make a submission

There are several ways to make a submission to the Commission.

1. In writing, online

Submissions can be made in writing on the form on the Commission’s website.

There are three sections on the submission form. You can answer as many or as few sections as you like, and you can also give information on any other issue covered by the Terms of Reference.

You can provide information about your experiences, your background and any other information you would like to share with the Commission.

Help to use the form is available by contacting the Commission on 1 800 517 199 (9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday).

2. Verbally, over the phone

If you find it difficult to use the form, you can make a spoken submission to the Commission over the phone on 1 800 517 199 (9am to 6pm Monday to Friday except national public holidays).

3. By email or post

You can make a submission by email or Australia Post to:

You can send the Commission a letter, email or copy of the submission form with your comments on it.

4. By appearing before the Commissioner

The Commission may grant permission or ‘leave to appear’ to a person or organisation to participate in a public hearing. This requires an application through a form on the Commission’s website.

Help is available

We provide free and confidential support to people affected by the Commission, including help to make a submission to the Commission.

Contact us by calling our dedicated phone number or emailing our dedicated email address.

Our service is open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday (except on public holidays and between Christmas and New Year).

You can also find out more about our services here on our website.

Communication assistance

Interpreters are available for languages other than English if required.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing and/or have a speech impairment, we welcome calls through the National Relay Service (NRS).

Step 1: Call 133 677

Step 2: Choose your access options. Visit the National Relay Service website for different call numbers.

Step 3: When asked by the relay officer, provide our phone number 1 800 317 387.

For urgent assistance

If you are currently experiencing any form of violence or abuse, or are concerned for your safety, call emergency services on 000 and ask for the Police.

If you need to speak to someone urgently, please call one of the following services.

  • If you are feeling overwhelmed or thinking about self-harm or suicide, call:
    Lifeline Crisis Support on 13 11 14 at any time
  • If you need free, immediate, short-term counselling with a trained mental health professional, call:
    Beyond Blue on 1 300 22 46 36 at any time
  • For information and support, call:
    Disability Royal Commission National Counselling & Referral Service on 1800 421 468 between 9am and 6pm Monday to Friday, and 9am to 5pm on Saturday, Sunday and public holidays.


Making A Submission To The Disability Royal Commission [DOCX 45KB]

Making A Submission To The Disability Royal Commission Easy Read [DOCX 45KB]